Off Road Vehicle Areas

Excluding competition events there are currently very few legal riding opportunities available to unregistered bikes and quads.

WA is the only state in Australia that allows unlicensed riders and non-road registered bikes to ride in specially designated legal off-road vehicle areas of which there are currently 5 in the state. 

The designated Off Road Vehicle areas are:

To ride in the designated Off Road Vehicle areas your bike needs to have Off-Road Vehicle registration (if not road registered).  This registration revenue is then re-invested back into ORV maintenance and facilites. 


RTRA’s view is

  • we need more off-road vehicle areas, particularly in the southern suburbs and hills – the State Government and Local Governments need to work together to make suitable land available and
  • the existing off-road vehicle areas need to be re-developed with networks of trails, some trails hardened for juniors and novices, they need to be maintained and actively managed. Some of these that are available are in a poor state.

See Projects: Trails and Areas for more information on RTRA Projects regarding Off-Road Vehicle Areas and what you can do to help.